FOTS EDITIONS MIXTAPE VOLUME TWO: "HAY NEW EAR PSYCHOS"

"HAY NEW EAR PSYCHOS" 






SURE, SURE, I know. There is no "FOTS EDITIONS/Fruit Of The Spirit Best Of 2022 List". Our publisher still refuses to pay us ANY sort of money so we went on strike AGAIN. Cripes, I know, right?! Writers strike. Train strike. NHS strike. WTF has this dreary country come to?! Never fear, here we are, back at it for the Nu Yeer to bring you the best in quality internet content.  I will starve to bring the people what they so desire. Sit down and enjoy the ride or go read Pitchfork, sicko. 

Last year was quite a ride in more than a million ways. Not sure what cometh next and I'm honestly tryin' to get out the way of what lies ahead. Could be big, rite? I don't have that many resolutions for 2023 other than refusing to cut my hair, shave or make any friends. I also plan on reading 36 books and might shower regularly. No fuckin' vision boards or wish lists for me. Food on the table and a roof will suffice. Amen. 

Mikey 
3/1/2023



In the late nineties I recall wandering the streets of old Louisville, drinking warm beer and listening to my friend Mac talking with stars in his eyes about a strange and magical movie called Emerald Cities. I remember him describing it as a holy grail of sorts with one of our favourite groups starring in the film, Flipper. This is pre-internet so there was no way to look it up anywhere and I filed it away in my bank of mystery. Years later I stumbled upon this video of The Mutants performing "Tribute To Russ Meyer" and lo and behold, it was from the movie. Today I tracked down the movie on Mubi and plan on watching it as soon as I can afford to wipe my own ass and pay for a subscription service (2028). 




Six string human Derek Bailey interviewed by another six string human Henry Kaiser in 1989. If you don't know, they both play odd, avant, bizarre multi-genre influenced sound on guitars. I don't want to veer too far out of my lane so I must admit I don't know much about them but I stumbled upon this interview while digging around for another artist. As I write, I'm listening to this other video of Derek performing live with Min Tanaka. Definitely worming its way into my scalp. Looking forward to seeking out more on Derek Bailey in the new year. 







Scorces- Live at at Waking Moments, Lyle's, Rice University, Houston, Texas, March 31, 2001, Concert presented by Nameless Sound and KTRU 91.7 FM. Christina Carter - chord organ, voice and Heather Leigh - chord organ, voice. Quite a beautiful trip back 21 years. A giant swell that is soothing to the ears on this morning. I'm sure this performance was even heavier to behold in the flesh. Remember when people would lie on the floor at shows to fully emerge themselves in the sound? I wish I could do that everywhere I went in public... Listen here. 





Mauvaises nouvelles, pauvreté, dépendance, temps de merde, colère, maladie mentale, toujours la même merde. Captain Beefheart, "Safe As Milk", France, 1980 est un bon médicament.



Irish poet Martina Evans recites her piece "I want to be like Frank O'Hara". 





Fucking right this is brutal grimy crust straight from the streets of NYC. Flower's "Hardly A Dream" is a slap in the face. I'm avoiding the obvious comparisons to other classic crust bands and seminal outsider visual artists because you will see that everywhere else this group is written about. The devil is in the meticulous detail Flower put into every element of their craft and they deserve to be perceived on their own merit. This ain't yer drunk punk grandpa's band.  Flower IS power. PLEASE go buy this on their Bandcamp digital or from Profane Existence. Flower is on tour now in the US. Ask a punk. 





Shit, I dunno if I talked about or shared this documentary before on here but I'm too lazy to check. Before I watched this, I wasn't quite sure if I gave two tosses about Salem but this converted me quickly. Fan made documentary Salem's "Midwest Side Story" unfurls the chaos of Salem's history via home video from the band's social media and press footage. Witch House, drugs, guns, bisexuality, fishing, beatmaking, remixes, prison, chasing tornadoes. I'm in. It's age restricted so ask your mommy or daddy if you can watch it first. 






ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
In violent timesYou shouldn't have to sell your soulIn black and whiteThey really, really ought to know
Those one track mindsThat took you for a working boyKiss them goodbyeYou shouldn't have to jump for joyYou shouldn't have to jump for joy
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
They gave you lifeAnd in return you gave them hellAs cold as iceI hope we live to tell the taleI hope we live to tell the tale
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all out (let it all out)These are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
And when you've taken down your guardIf I could change your mindI'd really love to break your heartI'd really love to break your heart
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do without(I'd really love to break your heart) come onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome onI'm talking to youCome on(They really, really ought to know)
ShoutShoutLet it all out(They really, really ought to know)These are the things I can do without(They really, really...) Come onI'm talking to you(They really, really ought to know) come on
ShoutShoutLet it all out(I'd really love to break your heart)These are the things I can do without(I'd really love to break your heart) come onI'm talking to youCome on
ShoutShoutLet it all outThese are the things I can do withoutCome on








From the mid-late 80's through the early 90's I was a permanent fixture at Champ's Rollerdrome. I went most every weekend. Alone. I'd do my best to keep up with the latest urban trends my families tiny budget could handle. This consisted primarily of a pair of pink Umbro football/soccer shorts which I wore over black biker shorts, a black Raiders "Real Men Wear Black" t-shirt or my purple Varnet t-shirt (as seen in photo above where I am also donning a "boxcut"). In the winter I'd wear pants to the rink then change in the bathroom into my ensemble. The Raiders were huge at the time. I'm not sure where the Umbros thing came from but I got into wearing pastels from watching Bell Biv Devoe videos. However, during the week I was showcasing my poseur Tony Hawk side mixed with a dumpy lumberjack scumbag vibe (pre-grunge, these were old shirts laying around the house) with way too many interests to stick to one style. 
The roller rink was a special place where I bowed down to the god known as mainstream r&b and rap. The late 80's and early 90's were an amazing time for these genres of music. While I had no friends who enjoyed my interest in this style of music or activity, I was at that rink every Saturday, waxing my moves and not giving two fucks who gave a shit. I LOVED to skate and I was good at it. Sorry, this is a long way around to the fact that Al B. Sure's "Nite-N-Day" slams hard as fuck. I loved skating to this song and they played it long in the rink after its introduction to the airwaves in 1988. 





Obviously I'm still reeling from my recent adventure of seeing The Cure and have been listening to odds and sods in order to wind down from the experience. This instrumental demo of The Cure doing "The Same Deep Water As You" is gorgeous. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose, "Disintegration" would be my answer for sure. 






A lovely topsy turvy singalong poem about usin' & abusin', here we have Helen Adam (2/12/1909-19/10/1993) reading "Cheerless Junkie's Song" from Ron Mann's 1982 "Poetry In Motion". Click here to watch whole film. 





I've always been fascinated with the evolution of Ian and Billy throughout the years with their Southern Death Cult/Death Cult/Cult incarnations. Starting with the "Electric" album in elementary school, I wasn't that moved initially. However, once in high school I found a Death Cult cd in the cut out bin (don't remember which one honestly) and enjoyed it's similarity to the other post punk artists I was getting turned on to at the time. But, damn, when I heard Southern Death Cult's "Moya" on a shitty Cleopatra Records (yuck) "Gothic Rock" compilation, I was blown away. There they were, in their infancy, passionate and angry, bone dry guitar and rhythm section, a real primitive punch. Once I got ahold of their full length cd (import), I immediately had to get my hands on all of the other Cult related material. Most of it holds up for me now. But yes, it is their very beginnings that really get me going. True Spirit. 







It's time to say goodbye and what's a proper goodbye without another fan made documentary, this one I havent seen but am going to watch right now because, well, I dunno, I'm curious to see a doc about Layne Staley.


 Plenty comin' down the channel in 2023. Please sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on blog info at fruitofthespiritblog@gmail.com. Ideas for stories/pieces are always welcome. 



Comments

Popular Posts